Here’s just a quick update for you all…
Microsoft announced yesterday that SkyDrive Pro users would now receive 25 GB instead of 7 GB of storage by default. That number can be increased up to a total of 100 GB. The additional storage comes out of your SharePoint Online storage pool.
The total storage available to each user is now 25 GB of SkyDrive Pro storage + 25 GB of email storage + 5 GB for each site mailbox you create + your total available tenant storage, which for every Office 365 business customer starts at 10 GB + (500 MB x # of users).
You can purchase additional storage for SharePoint Online for $.20 per GB up to the tenant maximum of 25 TB. Quota maximum is 100 GB per Site Collection.
The second announcement was an improvement in visibility for all documents that have been shared with you. See the full details of the announcement at SkyDrive Pro increases storage and ease of sharing.
- Better mobile experience
- Improved branding
- New Business Intelligence and Business Connectivity Services capabilities (limited in SharePoint Online)
- PowerShell for SharePoint Online
- Records Management & Compliance
- Revamped Office Web Apps
- Site Mailboxes
- SkyDrive Pro
- Social – including Yammer (the options for Yammer should show up by July for all tenants)
- Totally reworked external file sharing
For a more extensive education about the new features of SharePoint 2013 visit Capabilities and features in SharePoint 2013 on TechNet or specifically for SharePoint Online – What’s new in SharePoint Online–top 10.
* Note: Please keep in mind that you should always test changes in a separate environment where possible before making production system changes like this. During the process you will be presented with an option to set up a demo site with the new features. If you have questions about how upgrading the service will affect your content and existing SharePoint environment I recommend you test on the demo site before following these instructions. *
Here are the steps you follow to upgrade your SharePoint sites:
1. Log in to your Office 365 tenant
2. You should see a bell icon in the top navigation bar:
3. Click the bell icon and a drop-down box with additional information will appear: